Recipe: White Bean Salad with Ham, Cilantro, and Mint
This high-fiber delicious salad is perfect on a hot summer day for lunch or dinner. The fresh mint, tangy vinegar, and salty ham are perfect together and leave you wanting more and more. It is perfect for a quick-fix entertainer…. very easy to make, yet sophisticated enough to impress even the snootiest guest.
White Bean Salad Ingredients
- 3 cans of canned Great Northern beans (or 1 pound dried Great Northern beans, cooked)
- ¾ cup diced ham (about 6 ounces)
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh mint
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, diced and mashed into garlic paste
- ½ red onion, sliced and roasted
- ½ cup olive oil, plus extra for roasting onions
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- Kosher salt to taste, roughly ¼ teaspoon, plus extra for seasoning the onions
- Black pepper to taste
White Bean Salad Directions
Start by slicing the onion, tossing with some olive oil, seasoning with salt and pepper, and roasting at 425° for about 20 minutes, or until just starting to turn golden brown.
While onions are roasting, drain the beans and rinse under cold running water until they stop “foaming”.
Place the rinsed beans in a large bowl, then finely chop the mint and cilantro and add to the beans.
Make the garlic paste and add to the beans.
Dice the ham into 1/4 inch squares and add to the beans. Dice on the spot where you made the garlic paste so as to get a little extra garlic flavor onto the ham. So tasty!
Add olive oil and vinegar to beans and toss gently. Season salad to taste with salt and pepper.
Makes 8 small servings
Recipe by Jothan Yeager, May 23, 2007
8 Comments + Add Comment
I love hearing from my readers, so please go ahead and leave a comment!
- Rhonda on What are Elderberries?
- Vicki on How to Flavor Yogurt With Less Sugar
- 7 Substitutes for Balsamic Vinegar That Are Cheap and Easy | HeWise Blog on Focus Ingredient: What is Chinese Black Vinegar?
- 34 Things You Can Cook On A Camping Trip – WOWrly on Gourmet Camping Recipe: Sausage and Fennel Grilled Pizza
- TIP OF THE DAY: Baby Purple Artichokes (Fiesole) - THE NIBBLE Blog on How to Clean and Prepare Artichokes to Cook