Review: Taco Bell Doritos Locos Taco
When I first heard that Taco Bell was partnering up with Doritos to release a Nacho Cheese Doritos taco shell to wrap their tasty beef taco around, I thought, “this is a pot heads munchy dream come true.” I don’t smoke pot, but I love Doritos, and I love Taco Bell. What could be better than joining the two? Apparently, a lot.
Taco Bell’s New Doritos Taco Disappoints
Taco Bell is banking on this junk food combo being a huge success, at least their marketing spending for it appears that way. Signs, ads, and commercials for the thing are everywhere. I had been waiting for several months for it to finally arrive, so it was with great anticipation that I finally got to order a few. Mmmmm…..the greasy crunchy indescribably unique corn Doritos and beefy Taco Bell goodness had my mouth watering in anticipation. I took my seat, unraveled my gluttonous concoction, pulled it from its special paper holder, and took a bite. Not a Doritos.
The shell tasted nothing like a Doritos, other than the nacho cheese powder plastered all over the outside of it, which did a good job of maintaining the trademark Doritos finger markings. The shell was dyed Doritos Nacho Cheese orange, but this certainly did nothing to make it a Doritos, as the shell tasted nothing like a Doritos chip. It was made just like a regular crunchy corn taco shell, a baked/fried combo thing. It was a bit gritty, really thin, and didn’t have any of the Doritos characteristic grease pressed masa flavor. What a disappointment. This wasn’t a Doritos, it was just an orange colored taco shell with some fake cheese powder glued on it. It tasted OK, but was certainly not worth all the extra sodium, coloring, and chemicals, so I won’t be ordering it again.
Taco Bell’s Doritos Locos Taco Nutritional Comparison
So just how much worse is this taco for you than Taco Bell’s original Crunchy Taco? Lets compare their posted nutritional facts:
- Calories are the same at 170
- Saturated Fat is the same at 3.5 grams
- Total Fat: Crunchy has 10 grams, Doritos Locos as 9 (giving the Crunchy Taco 10 more calories from fat. I think the regular shell may be thicker, therefore, has more fat.)
- Cholesterol is the same at 25 milligrams
- Sodium: Crunchy has 290 milligrams, Doritos Locos has 340. That’s 50 more milligrams per Doritos Locos. Say hello to nacho cheese powder.
- There’s an extra gram of Dietary Fiber in the Crunchy. OK
- Sugars are the same at 1 gram
So there’s not a huge difference between the two, but if you order 4 of them, like most people probably do, you’ve just consumed an extra 200mg of Sodium for no reason whatsoever. Just so you know, 1/8 teaspoon of salt is 290mg.
No Thanks Taco Bell, You Can Keep Your Doritos Taco to Yourself
The taste isn’t any better. The texture is much worse. The resulting garbage footprint is much higher. The entire experience is a disappointment. I’ll pass. Thanks.
The Bald Gourmet tries the new Taco Bell Doritos Locos Taco and is very let down. What a stupid marketing stunt.
5 Comments + Add Comment
I love hearing from my readers, so please go ahead and leave a comment!
- TIP OF THE DAY: Baby Purple Artichokes (Fiesole) - THE NIBBLE Blog on How to Clean and Prepare Artichokes to Cook
- The Bald Gourmet on Recipe: Best Home Canned Thick and Chunky Salsa
- Michelle on Recipe: Best Home Canned Thick and Chunky Salsa
- jeramy on Review: Firehouse Subs
- The Bald Gourmet on What are Elderberries?