Recipe: Wok Fried Spinach with Garlic
I discovered this simple and delicious dish at Din Tai Fung Restaurant in the Pavilion KL Mall, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. My version has larger pieces of garlic and a touch of black pepper. Perfect served as a side dish with Chinese BBQ pork, or as a meal all on its own over rice, it is absolutely delicious, especially with spinach grown in your own home garden!
Wok Fried Spinach with Garlic Ingredients
- 8 cups fresh spinach
- 1 head, or 12 cloves, garlic
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Kosher salt to taste, roughly ¼ teaspoon
- Black pepper to taste
If planning to serve with rice, now is the perfect time to start your rice.
Unless you’re blessed enough to have one of those fabulous Asian fire cannon burners, you will need to preheat your wok to get it hot enough to quick-cook this dish. You want a very hot wok, so turn it on over high flame while you prep the ingredients.
Thoroughly wash the spinach and shake dry. If leaves are very large, chop into halves or thirds to have more bite size pieces. Slice the garlic. You want nice large slices of garlic, so do not chop it.
Add the oil to the hot wok. If you’ve gotten your wok hot enough, the oil should start smoking immediately. If not, let the oil get hotter until it starts to smoke. Add the garlic, then immediately add the spinach.
Stir fry together and season with salt and pepper.
Let the spinach wilt thoroughly, stirring/turning every 30 seconds or so. Once completely wilted, cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Serve immediately. I love it over rice. If serving over rice, make sure to pour any left over juicy oil in the wok over the rice with the spinach. It’s absolutely delicious!
2 Comments + Add Comment
I love hearing from my readers, so please go ahead and leave a comment!
- Rhonda on What are Elderberries?
- Vicki on How to Flavor Yogurt With Less Sugar
- 7 Substitutes for Balsamic Vinegar That Are Cheap and Easy | HeWise Blog on Focus Ingredient: What is Chinese Black Vinegar?
- 34 Things You Can Cook On A Camping Trip – WOWrly on Gourmet Camping Recipe: Sausage and Fennel Grilled Pizza
- TIP OF THE DAY: Baby Purple Artichokes (Fiesole) - THE NIBBLE Blog on How to Clean and Prepare Artichokes to Cook