Recipe: Grilled Steak and Asparagus Salad w/ Roasted Potatoes, Bleu Cheese, and Rosemary Vinaigrette
I originally came up with this dish for a cooking class course I was teaching in order to show the diversity of vinaigrette usage and that the concept of salad reaches far beyond lettuce. This delicious salad is a star as a main course meal, and is a perfect entertaining meal on a cool summer night.
- 2 ½ – 3 pounds beef tri-tip steak or roast
- 4 pounds Baby Red or Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 ½ pounds fresh asparagus
- ¼ pounds crumbled bleu cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Rosemary vinaigrette (recipe follows)
Start by quartering the potatoes. If some of the quarters seem too large, cut them in half again to get a more uniform size with the other potato quarters.
Slice the onions into 1/4 inch slices. Then separate the individual pieces and add to the potatoes.
Place potatoes and onion on baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, and toss with hands so as to cover all sides with olive oil. Roast in a 425˚ oven for 45 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked and slightly browned. Set aside and allow to cool.
Prepare asparagus by trimming off the tough ends. Then rub asparagus with extra virgin olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
If using a Tri Tip roast, prepare it by removing the thick layer of fat before seasoning.
Rub the Tri Tip with extra virgin olive oil, and season both sides liberally with salt and pepper.
Grill over high heat until medium-rare, approximately 4 minutes on each side. Grill the asparagus at the same time.
About this same time, the potatoes should be done. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly as you tend to the cooked beef.
Let the beef rest for 10 minutes, then slice into 1/8 inch slices.
Plate by placing roasted potatoes and onion on a large serving platter. Top with grilled asparagus and sliced beef. Then add crumbled bleu cheese and Rosemary Vinaigrette. Season to taste with salt and pepper. You can optionally garnish with Onion Chive flowers or Rosemary blossoms if you have them.
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red onion, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoon rosemary, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
Finely chop the rosemary, onion, and garlic, and place into a bowl with the remaining ingredients.
Whisk together to make the vinaigrette.
Pour over Grilled Steak and Asparagus Salad w/ Roasted Potatoes, Bleu Cheese, and Rosemary Vinaigrette Salad.
Recipe by Jothan Yeager, Feb 10, 2008
8 Comments + Add Comment
I love hearing from my readers, so please go ahead and leave a comment!
- TIP OF THE DAY: Baby Purple Artichokes (Fiesole) - THE NIBBLE Blog on How to Clean and Prepare Artichokes to Cook
- The Bald Gourmet on Recipe: Best Home Canned Thick and Chunky Salsa
- Michelle on Recipe: Best Home Canned Thick and Chunky Salsa
- jeramy on Review: Firehouse Subs
- The Bald Gourmet on What are Elderberries?