Recipe: Chinese Vegetable Pancake (Egg Fu Yung)
I was first introduced to Chinese-style pancakes/omelets while in Malaysia. The one I had there was made with onions, Napa cabbage, and barbeque pork. My version today is a vegetarian option with peppers, long beans, and onions. It is delicious, and I sincerely hope you give it a try.
The secret to flavoring this pancake is the Maggi Seasoning Sauce. Maggi is a strongly flavored wheat-based Chinese sauce. It tastes like a very strong soy sauce, and I mean very strong. You can find it at most Asian stores, but if not, you can just substitute regular soy sauce in its place.
How to Make Chinese Vegetable Pancake (Egg Fu Yung)
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 large onion, sliced
- 1/2 orange bell pepper
- 5 Chinese Long Beans, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 8-10 shakes of Maggi Seasoning Sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
Heat oil in wok until hot. Add the vegetables and stir fry until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
Beat eggs in a bowl with Maggi Seasoning. Move the vegetables into the center of the wok, and add to the eggs to cover them. Swirl the eggs around the sides of the wok by lifting and rotating the wok. This will help to cook the eggs faster and more evenly.
Scrape the eggs on the sides of the wok down towards the center, then run your wok spatula down the sides of the wok to loosen the pancake. Flip the pancake over with your spatula or by tossing the whole thing in the air while you have a strong grip on the wok. The second side will cook pretty quickly.
Serve plain, with a sweet chili sauce, or with Thai basil, bean sprouts, and lettuce.
Serves 2, unless you’re like me and can’t stop yourself in eating the entire thing.
Recipe by Jothan Yeager, October 2011
The Bald Gourmet discovers cooking techniques and concepts while traveling the world, then brings them back to his kitchen to create wonderful recipes like Chinese Vegetable Pancake.
1 Comment + Add Comment
I love hearing from my readers, so please go ahead and leave a comment!
- Hong on Recipe: French Pear Pie with Crumb Topping
- Joan Wallace on Review: Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwiches
- The Bald Gourmet on Review: Chowder Bowl, Newport, Oregon
- Mike Franklin(manager at the Chowder Bowl) on Review: Chowder Bowl, Newport, Oregon
- Recipe: Grilled Salmon with Fennel Citrus Buerre Blanc | MBSIB: The Man With The Golden Tongs on Recipe: Grilled Salmon with Fennel Citrus Buerre Blanc