Spices are such magical things. They are dried seeds, fruits, flower buds, flower stigmas, or bark that provide wonderful flavors and/or colors to food. Many even offer medicinal properties. Humans long ago discovered the importance spices play in making food taste better. What once was a rare and expensive luxury can now be found at any local grocer for just a few dollars.
Here I will review my favorite "less common" spices, where they come from, what they taste like, and what they are used for. I will also discuss practical uses and alternative substitutions for them.
If I have a “secret” ingredient in my cooking, it has to be Onion Powder. This is a must have [...]
Dried chilies are the quintessential ingredient in Mexican cuisine, namely because they originated in the Americas. However, dear old Christopher [...]
- Joan Wallace on Review: Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwiches
- The Bald Gourmet on Review: Chowder Bowl, Newport, Oregon
- Mike Franklin(manager at the Chowder Bowl) on Review: Chowder Bowl, Newport, Oregon
- Recipe: Grilled Salmon with Fennel Citrus Buerre Blanc | MBSIB: The Man With The Golden Tongs on Recipe: Grilled Salmon with Fennel Citrus Buerre Blanc
- The Bald Gourmet on Review: Janitzio Mexican Restaurant – Best Restaurant Salsa